Reporting to the art director or the technical lead, and working closely with the programming team and the character and environment team leads, the technical artist designs and implements the tools that are necessary to maintain the production team’s creation process. The technical artist helps maintain an efficient production pipeline that respects the established production deadlines as well as the constraints related to performance that are essential to ensuring the global vision for the game is adhered to.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Identifying and resolving issues related to the process of artistic creation
- Analyzing constraints and needs, and defining technical directives while sharing them in a clear manner with the whole team
- Suggesting efficient production methods that are in keeping with the initial guidelines and budgets/constraints (memory/size of the game)
- Creating, maintaining and documenting tools/scripts dedicated to production needs
- Training artists in new production techniques and ensuring that those methods are compatible with the constraints of the game engine
- Making sure that the elements produced are compatible with the various target platforms and that they are properly integrated and have the intended impact on performance
- Ensuring that there is proper monitoring of the technical and artistic processes
- Maintaining a superior level of quality
Required Skills and Attributes
- Solid educational background: advanced mathematics (algebra; matrix, integral and differential calculus), physical principles both mechanical and organic, colour theory, lighting, composition, etc.
- Excellent understanding of rendering and lighting techniques, and complete knowledge of engine-related constraints on mobile platforms
- Broad knowledge of the visual arts and interest in recent innovation within the field (real-time shading techniques / digital special effects in post-production / academic research)
- Versatile and able to adapt to various visual styles/worlds
- Mastery of the various 3D/2D graphic-production software packages and different game engines
- Knowledge of material-authoring/geometry solutions (Substance Designer, Houdini)
- Understanding of the main scripting languages used in production (Lua, Python, MAXscript, etc.)
- Knowledge of OpenGL ES, and the technical constraints associated with development on current mobile platforms (performance/memory)
- Knowledge of the process behind conventional graphics-production languages (GLSL, HLSL, CG, etc.)
- Knowledge of C++, C#
- Complete understanding of the classic and physical (PBR) rendering/lighting models
- Mastery of the basics of modeling, texturing and post-effects production
- Able to simplify complex or technical ideas
- Analytical nature, able to persevere until complex problems are solved
- Strong organizational skills and excellent ability to communicate/listen
Why Join the World of Gameloft?
- Because you want to be part of an exceptional experience within a company that is constantly growing!
- Because you want to work with talented people who are industry pioneers!
- Because you want to join a global company and meet great people around the world from all walks of life.
- Or, just because you’re looking for a great place to work!
What We Offer
- Benefits befitting a company of our size
- Vacation and personal days off
- Public transportation allowances (partial reimbursement of OPUS card)
- A storage room for 80 bikes
- Daily snacks
- A game room
- A rooftop terrace
In order for your application to be considered, you must submit a portfolioor other samples of your work (demos, images, animation, websites, etc.).Please make sure to provide us with the address of your website or portfolio.
We want to get to know you!
Submit your application now.
At Gameloft Montreal, you’ll be working with the world’s best game developers. Our studio has developed, and continues to develop, hit titles that include the Dungeon Hunter, Modern Combat and Gangstar series.
Interested? - Apply now
Another step towards joining a company that fits you perfectly: send us your CV.Apply